Saturday, March 13, 2010

Philosophical Thoughts

Proverbs 13:24 in the King James version reads

He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

I know this is a sore topic for many. I think in the US it may be split 50:50 for those for and those against spanking a child for discipline. I personally was spanked as a child. It was NOT by any means abuse. And it worked! Do I think spanking works for every child. No, but that's not the issue here.

I remember a few years back how a mother was investigated because she spanked her child in public. Some say just to spank them in private. What's that tell our children?! You can act any way you want in public. hmmm...

This issue hits home now since I have a son. He's old enough to understand some things but I'm not sure he'd understand a spanking if he got one. However, I do plan on using that method when he does understand. The younger the child the more immediate the consequence has to be. Ex. You tell your child not to cross the street and they do. Well, that deserves a spanking. Get it through their heads that crossing the street can result in pain. Better a spanking than a car accident.

So what are your thoughts?

Bible.cc

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I was also spanked as a child and I think it's completely okay. If administered the right way, it's not going to wound children's little spirits. Letting a child get away with no discipline wounds far more than their spirits! I'm afraid to spank in public, especially in this crazy state I'm currently in. I remember having to wait until dad got home sometimes. That really ruined the afternoon, which might have been part of the punishment too! I'm not sure when I'll start though. I know Sookie understands "no" but she wouldn't understand a spanking yet.