Saturday, December 6, 2008

A Little More about the Swelling

So I've been dealing with water weight in my legs for a few days now. It turns out it could be more serious than I expected. The water weight gain isn't scary in itself. It happens to a lot of pregnant women but later in pregnancy. Since mine has occured really early in my pregnancy, it has raised concern in many people. Some have mentioned toxemia. Others have mentioned blood clots.

On Thursday, my left leg was in a great amount of pain. So I called my doctor. The nurse practitioner asked me many questions and told me what to do. She didn't seem too concerned at that point; however, if the pain got worse, I needed to go to the hospital right away. Thankfully it did not get worse. That night I was told to elevate my legs above my heart, not to eat salt, nor cross my legs. She also wanted me to sleep on my right side to try to move the baby toward that side to even things out. Oh and no leg massages. When I told my husband about the no leg massages, he got really excited until I told him that it was ok for me to still get foot massages.

The next morning the swelling had gone down a bit to show a slight difference between my calfs and ankles. But later that morning, the swelling was back and possibly worse. Some teacher friends told me I should get my blood pressure taken just in case. I did and it was normal. But the nurse said she'll take my blood pressure twice a week just to keep an eye on it. I think that's a good idea. Last night I lay with my legs elevated for a couple hours. Then ate and played games with a friend and her husband. After they went home, I lay with my legs elevated for a couple more hours. This morning I looked at my ankles. They were back. I have ankles again : ) Of course I am still laying with my legs elevated, but at least there's hope : )

I'll see my doctor Tuesday. We'll see what he says then.

No comments: