Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Question about Faith

People are really challenging me with their blogs. I've been trying to decide on something I could share on a daily/weekly basis. The Ten on Tues. is more for me than anyone else. So that didn't fit the challenge. I thought of doing what others of my friends are already doing, but that just doesn't work either. It finally hit me today.

I'm going to start a weekly question on Faith in Christ and His Word. Again, this may only speak to me, but I pray it speaks to others if only to challenge you to think about the Truth and what it means in your life.

I would greatly appreciate your comments whether they disagree with my thoughts or not. And please ask questions. That will help challenge me and others who read this blog. Love and prayer...


The two verses to follow seem to correlate with each other. One is from the Old Testament and the other from the New Testament. The thing that sticks out to me most are the words 'are healed' and 'were healed'. Why is that word changed? What do they really mean? And are those verses talking about our bodies, souls or spirits being healed?

Isaiah 53:5 King James Bible
But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

1 Peter 2:24 King James Bible
Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

I believe...

a. God wants the best for us
b. He wants us physically, emotionally, and spiritually whole, healed.

But when I stand firm on His Word, am I standing on what He said or what I want Him to mean?

scriptures found at http://bible.cc/

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Love this!! I'll try to participate as much as I can! I'm no bible scholar, but I love Jesus. haha.

What I know about the bible is that it is a living breathing book. I never knew what that meant until this year, but I believe it to be true with all my heart.

Regarding your question about standing on what is said or what you want it to mean: I think it's both (if you keep it in context). When you read the Psalms and David is talking about his struggles with King Saul coming after him, well, we can name our "Saul" too. His prayers apply to our situation, even though David was talking about something specific.

All throughout the bible we hear God talking about the amazing promises he has for "Isreal". But we know that we are Isreal too because we've been grafted in so those promises apply to you and me.

God definitely wants us healed and whole physically, emotionally and spiritually. Nothing missing, nothing broken. We know that there is no sickness or pain in heaven. So, when we pray, we are supposed to pray for God's will on earth as it is in heaven.

I don't know why the wording is changed on the two verses. I think it's author style? They seem to mean the same to me. My NIV study bible says that 1 Pet 2:24 is not generally meant for physical healing as much as spiritual healing. I don't know. I think spirtual healing is more important than anything, because if you're not right in your soul then you aren't right anywhere. I think the act of Christ dying on the cross was for the saving of our soul and any other healing or miracle is just because He loves us and is a reward of faith.

My two cents. Love you!

Catina said...

Thank you :) I think I finally understand what it means to pray for God's will on earth as it is in heaven now. It's funny how I never quite understood that until now. I look forward to your comments and all others :)