Monday, March 11, 2024

Where's the Fun?!

I remember when I was little...

I would have been thrilled to play with other kids, to go on vacations, to have my parents spend time with me.  And I was thrilled when it happened, but it didn't happen nearly as often as I hoped.  I spent most of my school days on the bus or in school.  When I did get home, I was stuck inside because we were latchkey kids, and it was the rule.  We did get to watch one half hour show after our homework was complete, but I would have much preferred going outside to play.

I do remember my mother spending every minute she had available doing something with us whether it was watching a show together, playing a game, eating dinner, going to see family, going to church, etc.  Our vacations were on the inexpensive side as we didn't have much money to spare, but they were fun because we went together and got to do something different.

Now that I have kids, I actually get to stay home with them every day and teach them.  We play games together, visit friends and family, go to church, camp, etc.  The thing about it is my kids, at least my two oldest, beg to stay home.  They all like going to church, thankfully, but aside from that, they'd like to stay inside by themselves.  :(

I think kids now a day are, for the most part, spoiled.  They have too many things at their fingertips to appreciate the little things like fresh air, an actual book, and laughter with friends.  They can get those things any time they want and don't realize how precious it really is.  

I have to "force" my kids to go on a hike, go camping, play a board game or cards, go for a bike ride, etc.  They usually enjoy it, but I am spent by the end of it from having to make them go in the first place.  

I often toy with the idea of quitting everything except for church and getting rid of the internet.  I wonder if my children would have a different tune after that.  Hmmm...  Things to think about :) :) :)

No comments: