Sunday, October 3, 2010

Difficulties of Travel

We left for the airport Friday at 4:45am so we would be there in time for our 7am flight.  Once we arrived I looked at the tickets for the first time since booking the flight.  To my horror our flight was scheduled for 11:15am.  We found out we could switch it to the 6:50am flight but it would cost $50.  I am unsure if that was $50 for both Joseph Jr and me or just me.  I decided against it either way.  I figured it would be an adventure for the two of us.  I kept thinking, "At least we weren't late."

Joseph, my husband, walked us to security check in and waited until we were all the way through which took a long time.  Joseph Jr's sippy cup filled with water was tested and some of our bags were checked.  Then they saw a few small applesauce cups and a tupperware of cantelope.  I wasn't thinking about the applesauce being liquid and had no clue that the cantelope would be considered liquid either.  They said they can either test each of those things like they did with his water or I could get patted down and all of our bags checked more thoroughly.  I opted for the patting and checking since the applesauce would be ruined if opened and not eaten right away.  All turned out well.

Joseph Jr fell asleep before the flight to Cleveland.  And then again on the flight to Cleveland.  We met really nice people at the airport and on the flight.  There were many little ones flying that day.  There was one family that spoke very little English but we communicated well some how.  Very nice family.  When we got to Cleveland they were off to Buffalo.  So I met some more nice people as we waited for our flight to Albany.  It was posted on time until five minutes before our flight was scheduled to take off.  Then they posted it would leave ten minutes late.  We all knew better, but had no idea what was to come.

The next announcement was to inform us the flight was canceled and told us all to go to the service center for a flight change.  As we all stood in line with one person on the other side of the desk, they suggested we go to the ticketing booth or another service desk.  They pointed in one direction assuming we all knew where the ticketing booth was.  A father and son started for the other service desk so I followed them.  They were very kind in waiting for my son and me.  I soon picked up Joseph Jr and walked a bit quicker.  A man in a cart stopped to pick us all up.  Sadly he was only able to take us a short distance as we had to go up a level.  We continued on foot the rest of the way.  The line was long but there were three agents behind the desk.  I thought it would go quickly.  Boy was I wrong.  Everyone in line was so nice even with everything happening. As we got closer to the front of the line, our hopes of getting out that night dropped drastically as did getting our hotel room comped.

It was finally our turn.  My mother had already called and said they would pay for our room if the airline didn't.  Then my dad called and said the same thing.  Just before one of the passengers was on his way, he mentioned that he heard I only had a debit card and offered us some cash.  We really were blessed!  At some point during our time at the counter, tears fell and I had a difficult time of speaking.  Thankfully it didn't last too long.  After many phone calls and on line checks, the agent set us up with a 7:10am flight to Chicago Ohare and then a 9:30am flight to Burlington.  She also gave us two $6 food vouchers for that night or the next morning and a room for the night which had a shuttle to and from the airport.  I thanked the agent and we were on our way.

We picked up our checked bags as that's where his diapers and sleeping tent were.  Then out we went to catch the shuttle.  I was lost and confused with where to pick up the shuttle when some of the friendly passengers I met earlier flagged down the shuttle I needed and helped me bring my bags to where the shuttle was finally able to stop.  Once on the shuttle my son asked for some water.  To my dismay I had to tell him that he had to wait as he had already drank all of his water and I had none left :(  The driver than opened a cooler and said to take a couple waters.  The driver than informed me of the shuttle schedule for the next day to which I was grateful once again.  Once at the hotel, he told me to go inside and he'd bring me my bags.  He even found a cart that he loaded with my bags so I'd be able to get to my room easily.  He even made it so there was a spot for Joseph Jr to sit.

The lady at the front desk gave me my key without a credit card for incidentals.  She just blocked certain things and all was good.  We reached our room and had some snacks for dinner.  Then I got Joseph ready for bed and off he went in his tent.  I finished packing as much as possible and opted for more sleep rather than a shower.  I set three alarms so we would not be late for the plane, my phone, the alarm in the room, and a wake-up call.  My phone and the wake-up call went off within seconds of 4:30am but the clock alarm never sounded. I think the volume might have been off.  Oh well, I was up.  I got ready and then got Joseph up shortly thereafter.  We made it down for the 5am shuttle and all were nice again.

I got in line at Continental forgetting they put me on a flight through United.  So off we went to that line.  Then they told me about the check baggage cost.  I asked them to call Continental as I had already paid for my baggage.  They did but said I had to pay there and go to Continental to get reimbursed.  My tears started flowing all over again.  All I could say was that I didn't have a credit card.  The agent made it work.  So off we went to security.  We stopped short and finished our water.  The day/night before we ate all the cantaloupe and applesauces so we wouldn't have to go through the long security check again.  We got through without a hitch.  Then we went to get some breakfast using one voucher and then further for a smoothie using the other voucher.  We were satisfied and happy.  The flight to Chicago was without drama.  Actually Joseph slept the entire short flight.

Once at Chicago the helpfulness of others changed quite a bit.  There was one lady who stopped to offer assistance but she was going the opposite way.  We were told about a shuttle that would take us from one section of the airport to another section.  Some how I missed the shuttle entrance or whatever and Joseph Jr refused to walk.  So I carried him for about a mile through that airport stopping often from exhaustion.  I begged him to walk, but he would just sit down and then lay down.  I realized later he too was exhausted and just couldn't bring himself to walking.

We made it 30 min before we were to board the flight.  We found some great people which Joseph enjoyed throughly and they enjoyed him.  Then I smelled something that needed to be dealt with but I wasn't sure if we had time.  There was no one at the counter so I waited until I saw someone.  When I did, I went and explained the situation.  She was a bit defensive saying that she'd been there for a while and that she didn't think there was any place on the plane for me to change my son.  She informed me that they'd be boarding in about 5 min and stop boarding in less than 20 min and that the choice was up to me.  I was concerned about not being back in time but I chose to go quickly.  I had time if no one was in line for the changing table.  (the day before I had to wait about 10 min in line to use the changing table) We got in, out, and back just as they called the first group of passengers to board.

The flight to Burlington was sleepless.  Joseph didn't sleep a wink :(  That flight was very difficult on both of us!  But it ended and we found my dad waiting for us on the other side of security.  What a breath of fresh air :)  The rest is another story.

God is good and sent "angels" our way throughout the most difficult times.  Thank you, Lord.  And a special thank you to all of our "angels" out there.  May God bless you and your family with more happiness and peace than can be imagined.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

wow! what a story! You were brave to attempt flying with a toddler! I'm so glad that God sent you some angels to help you!
Love you,
Carrie