Saturday, November 22, 2008

Days Go By

As a child, it seemed we'd never get older. Highschool and College seemed to pass at a decent rate, but you couldn't wait to turn 21. Then the next thing you know you're 30 something and all of your cousins you thought of as soooo young are 20 something. What's worse is all your friends' babies grew up before your eyes. You start thinking about your own children or the ones you are going to have. You want time to slow down. What happened?! How is time so slow as a child and then speeds up as an adult?

I've been told to enjoy every day. It's special. Enjoy being single. There are many things you can do and many worries you don't have as a single person. When you get married without children, enjoy those days. There are many things you won't be able to do and many more worries after you have children. Things aren't better. They're just different.

When I found out I was pregnant, I thought I would have about 9 more months of sleep and no worries. Boy was I wrong. I think your body is trying to get you ready for the sleepless nights to come. And worries.... You've got to be kidding me. Am I eating the right stuff and amount for my baby? Can I lift this without harming my baby? Should I sing to, read to, talk to my baby? What do I need to do to help my baby grow big and strong? Is my baby's heartbeat still beating in there? You get the picture.

I look forward to my baby kicking, so I won't have the worry, "Is my baby's heartbeat still beating?" I keep reminding myself to enjoy this time, but it's hard when the only time you know your baby is still kicking is when you go to your monthly appointment and see or hear the heartbeat. I'm 17 1/2 weeks. People tell me by week 19, I should feel the baby kicking. Right now 1 1/2 weeks seems forever. I feel like a child waiting for Christmas. When I really think about when I saw two lines, I realize it was just yesterday. 12 1/2 weeks passed so quickly. Then I pray for time to slow down.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Boy do I agree with everything you just said! But once you have your little one...the worrying only multiplies. It's part of the badge we earn by being called Mom. :)

Catina said...

I thought about the worrying multiplying after the baby is born. I realized I have a lot less control then. Ugh!!! Scary.